Applicants must visit Graduate Admissions for complete application information and instructions. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure he or she meets all eligibility requirements before applying.
Statistics M.S. and Data Science application requirements and procedures
- Please enter your contact information carefully to ensure timely receipt of communications from the department to which you are applying.
- The department is unable to provide any admissions counseling, such as advising or assessment, for applicants or prospective applicants and therefore does not respond to such requests. Our M.S. admissions and degree program webpages address all the relevant information, so please take the time to read them thoroughly.
- Recommended preparatory courses include advanced undergraduate level courses in linear algebra, statistics/probability and proficiency in programming.
- The online application system opens in September of each year. We only accept applications for Autumn Quarter admission. We do not accept applications for any other start quarter. (e.g. apply in the year 2020 for autumn quarter 2021-2022).
- Completed application and all supporting documents (official transcript(s), letters of recommendation, and official ETS (GRE/TOEFL) scores must be submitted by the application deadline.
Upon submission of the application, applicants can check the status of letters of recommendation received and receipt of transcripts, official ETS scores (if applicable), by logging into your application's Activity Status page and viewing your checklist.
- Please allow up to 3 weeks for official transcripts to be recorded as "RECEIVED" on the application status page.*
- Minimum of 3 weeks for official ETS scores to be reconciled with your SUBMITTED application.
The selection of applicants admitted to the Department of Statistics (and Data Science) is based on an individualized, holistic review of each application, including ‒ but not limited to ‒ the applicant’s academic record, the letters of recommendation, General GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and TOEFL (if applicable) exam scores, the personal statement, personal qualities and characteristics and accomplishments.
Admission decisions will be communicated by March 21, 2021.
Notification is sent via email only.
Please take some time to read the common questions addressed on our FAQ page. We address items regarding application eligibility, required graduate exams and other application requirements on that page. If you believe you have a unique question, please email stat-admissions-msATlists.stanfordDOTEDU.