Applicants who are:
- Current Stanford Master's students
- Stanford alumni
- NOT a matriculated Stanford student
The department is unable to provide any admissions counseling, such as advising or assessment, for applicants or prospective applicants and therefore does not respond to such requests. Our M.S. admissions and degree program webpages address all the relevant information, so please take the time to read them thoroughly.
How to Apply information for M.S. Degree Programs in Statistics and Data Science
Applicants must visit Graduate Admissions for complete application information and instructions. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure he or she meets all eligibility requirements before applying.
Recommended preparatory courses include advanced undergraduate level courses in linear algebra, statistics/probability and proficiency in programming.
- We only accept applications for Autumn Quarter admission. We do not accept applications for any other start quarter.
- The online application system opens in September of each year for the subsequent academic year (e.g. autumn quarter - 2019-2020).
- Application and all supporting documents (official transcript(s), letters of recommendation, and official ETS (GRE/TOEFL) scores) must be submitted by the deadline.
Send transcripts to*:
Statistics M.S. Admissions
Department of Statistics
390 Jane Stanford Way, room 118
Stanford, CA 94305-4020
- *We recommend that applicants send their transcripts to the department within 7 days of SUBMITTING their application. (Transcripts cannot be reconciled with your application until it is SUBMITTED.)
- Official transcripts must be sent to the department using an approved electronic method or by mailing hard copies. If possible, applicants are encouraged to use one of the electronic methods, as these options are eco-friendly and provide the same level of authenticity as official paper transcripts. (e-Transcripts preferred! firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Do not send materials via a service which requires a signature (such as USPS: Registered or Return Receipt); we cannot accommodate such items. Do not send any materials to Graduate Admissions in the Registrar's office.
Upon submission of the application, applicants can check the status of letters of recommendation received and receipt of transcripts, official ETS scores (if applicable), by logging into your application's Activity Status page and viewing your checklist.
- Please allow up to 3 weeks for official transcripts to be recorded as "RECEIVED" on the application status page.*
- Minimum of 3 weeks for official ETS scores to be reconciled with your SUBMITTED application.
The selection of applicants admitted to the Department of Statistics (and Data Science) is based on an individualized, holistic review of each application, including ‒ but not limited to ‒ the applicant’s academic record, the letters of recommendation, General GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and TOEFL (if applicable) exam scores, the personal statement, personal qualities and characteristics and accomplishments.
Admission decisions will be communicated by March 27, 2020.
Notification is sent via email only.
Please take some time to read the common questions addressed on our FAQ page. We address items regarding application eligibility, required graduate exams and other application requirements on that page. If you believe you have a unique question, please email stat-admissions-msATlists.stanfordDOTEDU.