Undergraduate Summer Research in Statistics
Students will engage in research using statistical methods for data mining, causal inference, machine learning within the following disciplines biological sciences, computational statistics or statistical learning/optimization.
Participating faculty for 2019:
- Assistant Professor Julia Palacios, Statistics and Biomedical Data Science
- Assistant Professor Mike Baiocchi, Statistics and Medicine - Stanford Prevention Research Center
- Or other Statistics affiliated faculty who has agreed to supervise and mentor your work.
Funding is provided by VPUE and is offered to undergraduate students to support full-time research projects in Statistics.
This program runs for 8 weeks starting June 24, 2019.
This research opportunity is for Stanford University undergraduate students only. Learn more about student eligibility.
Previous research topics include:
- Causal inference & evaluating behavioral programs
- Data Mining Analysis
- Computational Statistics & Multivariate Analysis
- Analysis of multivariate microarray data
- HAP map
- Kaggle NASA image analysis
- Human Microbiome studies
Summer research program requirements:
- Have not conferred your undergraduate degree (including coterm students).
- Proficiency in R (knowledge of C++, Julia or Java also a plus)
- Applicants should have taken at least two of the following courses: Stats 191, 202, 208, 216, 217, 229, 290 before summer quarter.
- Must be able to commit to full-time research (40 hours per week)
The Summer 2019 application is now open.
- unofficial transcript
- CV/resume with work history and relevant experience
- Application form
Students must submit all of their materials in a single PDF using this naming convention: LASTNAME_FIRSTINITIAL_STATS_VPUE_19.PDF
Please submit your application packet via email. Students accepted into the program receive a lump sum stipend ($700 per week) and are responsible for finding their own housing during the summer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Application Deadline: February 11, 2019 (Monday)
Funding is provided by Stanford University's Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and is only for Stanford undergraduate students.
application url: https://goo.gl/forms/rig7oWvdiCsTtZ3R2