Summer Undergraduate Research Program through the Statistics Department
The Summer Undergraduate Research Program through the Statistics Department (SURP-Stats) matches students with faculty across campus doing research that includes statistics and/or data science. This is an in-person (on campus) experience. It is 10 weeks long, starting on June 26, 2023, and ending on September 1, 2023.
- This research opportunity is for current Stanford University undergraduate students only. To participate, students must not have conferred their undergraduate degree (even if they are a coterm student).
- To ensure that students are eligible, please review VPUE’s eligibility requirements.
- Stanford undergraduate students from any department who meet the prerequisites are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to students in the Mathematical & Computational Science (MCS) and Data Science (B.S. and B.A.) programs.
- Examples include: MCS 120, DATASCI 112, 154, STATS 32, 48N, 60, 101, 116, 141, 191, 195, 200, 202, 216, 217, 229, MATH 51-53, 104, 113, 151, CS 106A/B, 103, 107, 109, MS&E 120, 125, 226.
- More specific prerequisite classes or skills are listed for each project.
Please review the list of faculty mentors, topic/project descriptions, and prerequisites. Faculty mentors will select which students are a good match to join their project.
Students should expect to do the following:
- Plan to take DATASCI 120 (Data Narratives) in the spring quarter to prepare for the summer research experience.
- Do research on campus (in person) for 35+ hours per week for a full 10 weeks during the summer. This should be your primary activity this quarter.
- Attend regular group meetings (tentatively planned as lunch meetings every other week), where students will informally share about their research experience.
- Attend talks, seminars, or professional development activities to learn about research.
- Prepare a poster at a final poster session.
- Submit a final report in which they showcase and reflect on the work they did, the skills they used, and what they learned.
Students will receive a stipend of $7,500, with a needs-based supplement (of up to $1,500) for eligible students.
How to Apply
Applications are due by February 5, 2023, at 11:59pm (PST).
Questions about the Summer Undergraduate Research Program through the Statistics Department may be directed to Amanda Kuhn (Student Services Officer) at aekuhn [at] stanford.edu (aekuhn[at]stanford[dot]edu).