Coterm Application Requirement
The following pertains to current Stanford undergraduate students only.
The Coterminal program allows matriculated Stanford undergraduates to study for a master of science degree while completing their undergraduate degree(s) concurrently. Detailed information regarding the policies and procedures of coterminal degrees can be found in the GAP handbook.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure he or she meets all eligibility requirements before applying. All application materials, including supporting documents, must be submitted by the application deadline.
Online Application System and Requirements:
The application consists of 7 pages. Each page must be completed sequentially. The online system will allow you to save throughout the application process.
The outline of the application is as follows:
1. Biographical Information: Student's name and other Bio/Demo data
Confirmation of coterm eligibility: By checking this box, I am confirming that I meet the University Coterm Eligibility Requirements as stated above and have not applied to another coterm program for this entry term.
Standard personal information about the applicant
2. Educational History
Student undergrad program information and transcripts
Do not request an official eTranscript. Your unofficial transcript with current grades will suffice.
Do not request your official paper transcript from the Registrar’s Office.
3. Program Selection
Coterminal program selection is available in September for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Proposed Master's Program: Statistics
- Program Display: Statistics MS
- winter 2022
- spring 2022
4. Additional Information
Additional Information section: Academic Interests (optional)
GRE (not required)
Statement of Purpose
- Explain the nature of your interest in one specific program in the department and reasons for wanting to study at Stanford. Include details about your preparation for this field of study, your future career plans, and any other aspects of your background and interests that may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study. Overall, the personal statement should be concise, focused, and well written.
- Your statement should be typed, single-spaced, and no longer than two pages with a one inch margin at the top of each page, ensuring that your full name and the program to which you are applying is on each page.
Diversity Statement (optional)
Applicants are encouraged to meet with a MS advisor to discuss submission of a feasible program of study, but MS advisor signature is not required.
- Only include the courses which are eligible for transfer and not those that you have completed for your current undergraduate degree requirements
- If you have questions about this form, please make an appointment to meet with Student Services Officer in Statistics.
Preliminary Program Proposal, Coterminal Degree Program (not required)
Note: These two sections repeat the same information required in the department's program proposal form. These two sections are not required.
For each quarter, list the total units to be taken and the courses to be taken to fulfill master's degree requirements. Use the plus button to add additional quarters. No units used to satisfy one degree may be used to satisfy the requirements for another degree. Consult the department web site for details.
- Future Quarters
- List courses you would take in future quarters for the coterm MS program
- Previous Quarters
- List courses previously completed or in progress that will be used to fulfill requirements for the master's degree. Use the plus button to add additional quarters.
Awards and Publications
Page 5: Supplemental Information
Page 6: References
Two (2) letters of recommendation are required, but advise applicants to ask three individuals in case one of them is unable to provide a letter for you by the deadline.
- Letters should be from Stanford faculty or academic sources or other individuals who are qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study. Please have your recommender write candidly about your qualifications, potential to carry on advanced study in the field specified, intellectual independence, capacity for analytical thinking, ability to organize and express ideas clearly. In describing such attributes as motivation, intellect, and maturity, specific examples are more useful than generalizations.
- The applicant must submit the correct contact information in order for the online system to solicit a letter from each author. Please notify your recommenders that they will receive an email prompt to submit their letter online. Please do not wait for all of your letters of recommendation to be submitted before submitting your application. Letters must be submitted through the online application system only and must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Click "Submit Recommendation Request" as soon as each recommender's information is confirmed.
Page 7: Pledge and Submission
Please check your entire application for accuracy before submission, as changes are not permitted after submission. Submitting your application early does not affect your chances of admission; all applications are reviewed after the deadline.
Please be sure to submit your application by 11:59PM Pacific the day of the deadline. No late submissions will be accepted.
It will not be possible to answer inquiries regarding the status of any application. We will contact you if any component of your application is missing. If you have questions or concerns, please send an e-mail to: email@example.com. Decision notification is sent via email only.
- Coterm Application Fee: Students who accept an offer of admission and are matriculated into the program are assessed a $125 coterm application fee.
- Applicants must submit their application and, if admitted, respond to the offer of admission no later than the last day of classes in the quarter prior to the expected completion of their undergraduate degree. This is normally the Winter Quarter prior to Spring Quarter graduation.
- Courses may not be transferred between undergraduate and graduate careers once the undergraduate degree is conferred. Conferral of each degree is applied for separately by the deadlines given in the Academic Calendar web site. The master's degree must be conferred simultaneously with, or after, the bachelor's degree.
- Coterminal students must confer their the bachelor’s degree before adding a second advanced degree program.
Quarters Back rule:
- Courses taken during or after the first quarter of the sophomore year are eligible for consideration for transfer to the graduate career; the timing of the first graduate quarter is not a factor.
- Course transfers are not possible after the bachelor’s degree has been conferred. The program's coterm quarters back policy is stated in the relevant department or program section of the Bulletin.
- No student may count a course taken earlier than the first/Autumn quarter of sophomore year.