Internal Application Deadline
- Current Stanford Masters students may apply to the Statistics or Data Science degree after completing their current master's degree and must apply as an EXTERNAL applicant and notify the cgates [at] stanford.edu (subject: Stanford%20masters%20student%20applying%20as%20an%20external%20applicant) (Student Services Officer) of your intentions to apply.
- Any non-matriculated graduate student at Stanford may apply as an external candidate.
- Stanford doctoral students interested in pursuing the MS in Data Science track must apply as an EXTERNAL applicant.
- Applications are accepted twice each year.
- All application materials, including supporting documents must be RECEIVED by our office by the application deadline.
- Admission is highly competitive and is not automatic.
File review begins promptly after the application deadline.
Decision Notification is sent via email only.
Internal Graduate Application (Stanford doctoral students)
Eligibility requirements for applying to the Statistics MS program are as follows:
- Stanford doctoral students who have passed their qualifying examination and can provide a letter of support from their program advisor
- Successful completion of STATS 200 and 217 (or higher-level course)
- Allowable replacements:
- STATS 200 may be replaced by a course in either STATS 300 series, 305 series or STATS270
- STATS 217 may be replaced by a course in either STATS 310 series, or 218 and/or 219
- Allowable replacements:
The department no longer accepts applications from other Stanford Masters students as “internal applicants.” Stanford graduate students currently pursuing a MS or MA degree must apply as an external applicant for autumn quarter matriculation 2023-2024. Starting Your Application
A completed application consists of the following required materials:
- Statement of Purpose
- Explain the nature of your interest in statistics. Include details about how it relates to your current program, your future career plans, and any other aspects of your background research interests. Overall, the personal statement should be concise, focused, and well written.
- Two letters of recommendation
- one from their current degree program advisor
- one from a faculty member in the Statistics department
- unofficial Stanford transcript
- official transcripts from previous institution(s) showing completion of each degree
- Program Proposal for a Master's Degree approved by a Statistics MS advisor
- Courses that have been completed and those that are planned
- CV/Resumé (optional)
Note: GRE scores are not required of an internal/coterminal applicant.
Do not submit the online Graduate Authorization Petition until after we have completed our review. You will be charged a $125 application fee for any submission of an online Graduate Authorization Petition, regardless of the decision. (Graduate Program Authorization Petition policy GAP 5.1)
How to Apply: MS Applications for Internal Applicants
Current Stanford doctoral students only:
- All application materials, including all supporting documents, must be received by the application deadline.
- Submit your application materials to Student Services Officer Caroline Gates in Sequoia Hall Room 118 (cgates AT stanford DOT edu).
Current Stanford Masters students:
- Current Stanford Masters students may apply to the Statistics degree after completing their current Masters degree and must apply as an EXTERNAL applicant. Please notify Student Services Officer Caroline Gates (cgates@) if you intend to apply.