How to Apply
Applicants must visit Graduate Admissions for complete application information and instructions. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure he or she meets all university eligibility requirements before applying.
Statistics MS and Data Science application requirements and procedures
- Please enter your contact information carefully to ensure timely receipt of communications from the department to which you are applying.
- The department is unable to provide any admissions counseling, such as advising or assessment, for applicants or prospective applicants and therefore does not respond to such requests. Our MS admissions and degree program webpages address all the relevant information, so please take the time to read them thoroughly.
- Recommended preparatory courses include advanced undergraduate level courses in linear algebra, statistics/probability and proficiency in programming.
- The online application system opens in early October of each year. We only accept applications for Autumn Quarter admission. We do not accept applications for any other start quarter. (e.g. apply in the year 2021 for autumn quarter 2022-2023).
- Completed application and all supporting documents: letters of recommendation, and self-reported ETS (GRE/TOEFL) scores must be submitted by the application deadline.
Upon submission of the application, applicants can check the status of letters of recommendation received and/or official ETS scores (if applicable), by logging into your application's Activity Status page and viewing your checklist. This checklist is intended for applicants to keep track of their application materials. ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE REVIEWED REGARDLESS OF THE CHECKLIST STATUS.
- Reconciliation of official test scores from ETS may taken between 3 - 5 weeks AFTER the application has been SUBMITTED.
- Applicants may send a reminder to their letter writers, or edit/change a recommender BEFORE the recommendation letter has been uploaded.
The selection of applicants admitted to the Department of Statistics (and Data Science) is based on an individualized, holistic review of each application, including ‒ but not limited to ‒ the applicant’s academic record, the letters of recommendation, General GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and TOEFL (if applicable) exam scores, the personal statement, personal qualities and characteristics and accomplishments.
ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE REVIEWED REGARDLESS OF THE CHECKLIST STATUS.
Admission decisions will be communicated by March 25, 2023.
Notification is sent via email only.
Please take some time to read the common questions addressed on our FAQ page. We address items regarding application eligibility, required graduate exams and other application requirements on that page. If you believe you have a unique question, please email stat-admissions-ms[at]lists(.)stanford(.)edu.
* Official transcripts are required of applicants who are offered and accept admission. We are not requesting official e-transcripts or hard copies at the time of application submission. Please do not order transcripts to be sent to the department.