The following pertains to current Stanford undergraduate students only.
The Coterminal program allows matriculated Stanford undergraduates to study for a master of science degree while completing their undergraduate degree(s) concurrently. Detailed information regarding the policies and procedures of coterminal degrees can be found in the GAP handbook.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure he or she meets all eligibility requirements before applying. All application materials, including supporting documents, must be submitted by the application deadline [link here].
Online Application System and Requirements:
The application consists of 7 pages. Each page must be completed sequentially. The online system will allow you to save throughout the application process.
The outline of the application is as follows:
- Biographical Information
- Educational History*
- Program Selection
- Additional Information*
- Supplemental Information (not applicable)
- Pledge and Submission*
* required documents
Please do not upload photos of document as the images do not display/print properly.
|Application page summary||Page contents specifics|
Confirmation of coterm eligibility: By checking this box, I am confirming that I meet the University Coterm Eligibility Requirements as stated above and have not applied to another coterm program for this entry term.
Standard personal information about the applicant
|Undergraduate Department Approval form *
Obtain signatures from your current undergraduate major(s) and upload the form in the application.
Student undergrad program information and transcripts *
Do not request an official eTranscript. Your unofficial transcript with current grades will suffice.
Do not request your official paper transcript from the Registrar’s Office.
Coterminal program selection is available in September for the 2019-20 academic year.
Additional Information section: Academic Interests (optional)
GRE (not required)
Statement of Purpose*
Diversity Statement (optional)
This is a preliminary form. Statistics M.S. adviser's signature is NOT required. Applicants are encouraged to meet with a M.S. adviser to discuss submission of a feasible program of study.
Preliminary Program Proposal, Coterminal Degree Program (not required)
Note: These two sections repeat the same information required in the department's program proposal form. These two sections are not required.
For each quarter, list the total units to be taken and the courses to be taken to fulfill master's degree requirements. Use the plus button to add additional quarters. No units used to satisfy one degree may be used to satisfy the requirements for another degree. Consult the department web site for details.
|Page 6: References||
Two (2) letters of recommendation are required*, but advise applicants to ask three invidividuals in case one of them is unable to provide a letter for you by the deadline.
|Page 7: Pledge & Submission||
Please check your entire application for accuracy before submission, as changes are not permitted after submission. Submitting your application early does not affect your chances of admission; all applications are reviewed after the deadline.
Please be sure to submit your application by 11:59PM Pacific the day of the deadline [link here]. No late submissions will be accepted.
It will not be possible to answer inquiries regarding the status of any application. We will contact you if any component of your application is missing. If you have questions or concerns, please send an e-mail to: email@example.com
Decision notification is sent via email only.
- Coterm Application Fee: Students who accept an offer of admission and are matriculated into the program are assessed a $125 coterm application fee.
- Applicants must submit their application and, if admitted, respond to the offer of admission no later than the last day of classes in the quarter prior to the expected completion of their undergraduate degree. This is normally the Winter Quarter prior to Spring Quarter graduation.
- Courses may not be transferred between undergraduate and graduate careers once the undergraduate degree is conferred. Conferral of each degree is applied for separately by the deadlines given in the Academic Calendar web site. The master's degree must be conferred simultaneously with, or after, the bachelor's degree.
- Coterminal students must confer their the bachelor’s degree before adding a second advanced degree program.
Quarters Back rule:
- Courses taken during or after the first quarter of the sophomore year are eligible for consideration for transfer to the graduate career; the timing of the first graduate quarter is not a factor.
- Course transfers are not possible after the bachelor’s degree has been conferred. The program's coterm quarters back policy is stated in the relevant department or program section of the Bulletin.
- No student may count a course taken earlier than the first/Autumn quarter of sophomore year.